Friday, August 24, 2012

Recipes & Results: Weekend One

Weekend One Recipes:


Chicken Enchiladas:

This amount made 16 Enchiladas

-          1 pkg (16) whole wheat or white flour tortillas – fajita size
-          6 boneless skinless chicken breast cubed
-          2 pkgs 8 oz cream cheese
-          8-10 oz sour cream
-          1 can Old El Peso Mild Enchilada Sauce
-          1 bag shredded cheese – Mexican or 4 cheese blend

  1. Brown the chicken in a frying pan, drain.
  2. Add softened cream cheese and sour cream until well blended
  3. Spoon approximately ¼ cup into a tortilla shell and seal tortilla with a bit of the mixture.
  4. Place in pan 13x9 in pan if making immediately
    (I chose to store mine in three separate 8x8 tins with parchment paper lining)
  5. Drizzle enchilada sauce evenly over the 16 enchiladas
  6. Sprinkle shredded cheese over top.

If making immediately bake for 15 minutes at 350 degrees.
If making from frozen thaw in fridge the night before - cook at 350 degrees until heated through, probably about 20 minutes.


Chicken Pot Pie (made from memory as told to me from my friend Marlo)

This made 5 loaf size pans

-          6 boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
-          1 large can cream of chicken soup
-          2 small cans cream of potato soup
-          3 bags frozen vegetables – I used both mixed vegetables and California mix
-          2 cans (8 ct) Pillsbury Homestyle biscuits.

1.      Brown the chicken in a frying pain and drain.
2.      Stir in all three soup cans, mix until creamy.
3.      Use ~2 cups of soup/chicken combo and mix in a bowl with about 2 cups of vegetables – stir well
4.      I decided a loaf size pan was good enough, it will be at least 5 servings each pan.
5.      Take 3 biscuits and place on top of the mixture.
6.      To seal and freeze this – I put wax paper on top and then wrapped with plastic wrap.  Finally (I’m so paranoid of ruining the food) I sealed in a gallon size freezer bag.

If cooking immediately; cook at 350 degrees for 18 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and warm all the way through.   If cooking from frozen; thaw the night before then cook for 20+ minutes or heated all the way through.


Honey & Spice Glazed Pork Chops

This was for Six Servings

Now to preface – I thought this turned out dry and not my favorite, my husband, who is very honest about my cooking – sometimes too honest – told me it was one of the best things I’ve ever made – so I correct the mistakes and you can adjust – and hopefully it will be delicious:

I served this with garlic bread and a side salad J

-          Cooking spray
-          6 (4-ounce) boneless center-cut loin pork chops
-          salt
-          ground black pepper
-          1/4 cup honey
-          2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
-          1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
-          1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
-          1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

  1. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat.
  2. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
  3. Mix remaining ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
Place browned pork chops in crock pot and pour mixture over top, cook on Low for 4-5 hours (until done).

Three Cheese Garlic Bread:
(modified from: http://joelens.blogspot.com/)

-          The recipe calls for 1 large French loaf, but I recommend a thicker bread that you can cut into slices and cook as if it were more like Texas Toast.  I doubled the amount of bread and still had remaining mixture left over.
-          1 stick unsalted butter
-          ½ tsp garlic powder
-          1 tablespoon minced garlic
-          1 tablespoon minced parsley leaves
-          1 package of Italian shredded cheese

1.      Combine together the butter, garlic power, garlic, and parsley to make a thick spread.  Spread on each slice of bread (one side).  Top with the shredded cheese.
2.      When ready to cook – preheat oven to 400 degrees and cook 8-10 minutes until heated and cheese is melted.
3.      When I put it in the freezer (before cooking) I placed the halves facing each other so that the butter and cheese would stay in place.  I then wrapped them in tinfoil then put them in a freezer gallon bag and taped it shut (trying to keep it fresh).

Pulled Pork

So I found 2 packages of pork shoulder roast in our freezer - I've never cooked with it before - but both my moms suggested pulled pork!  Easy enough!

1 pork shoulder roast
BBQ Sauce

Place pork in a deep baking dish and cover in tin foil.  Cook at 350 for 3-4 hours until done.  Let cool slightly, then use a fork to "shred".  I separated it into three separate bowls and sealed the tight for freezer storage.  I would imagine when it is time to cook I will thaw and put it in a stove top pan and add the bbq sauce (maybe I could find a good recipe for making it myself?) and then heat through.   Add it to wheat buns! :)

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas! How long do you anticipate all of this will last you guts?

    ReplyDelete